What Size Flag Do I Need?
Ratio of Flagpole: The length of the flag should be at least 1/4 the height of the pole. For example, a 40′ pole requires a 6 x 10′ flag or larger. This guideline applies to poles 20′ and larger. Most residential flags are 3 x 5′ or 4 x 6′. The size of the pole is the determining factor. Height to Flag Size.
Pole - Flag Size
- 15′ - 3′ x 5′
- 20′ - 3′ x’ 5′
- 25′ - 4′ x 6′
- 30′ - 5′ x 8′
- 35′ - 5′ x 8′
- 40′ - 6′ x 10′
- 45′ - 6′ x 10′
- 50′ - 8′ x 12′
- 60′ - 10′ x 15′
- 65′ - 10′ x 15′
- 70′ - 12′ x 18′
- 80′ - 12′ x 18′
- 90′ - 15′ x 25′
- 100′ - 5′ x 25′
- Commercial Grade – Flag Length should equal 1/4 pole height.
- Residential – Use a 3′ x 5′ or smaller flag.
- Roof-Mounted – Flag length should equal 1/2 pole height.
- Outrigger – Poles to 16′, use 3′ x 5′; 20′ poles use 4′ x 6′.
- For Poles with multiple flags – As a general rule, the total material of flags (height x width, For each flag) flown on the pole should not equal more than the total material of the flag indicated in the above chart.
Outdoor Flag Types
Korolex II (™) (Polyester – High Winds and Daily Flight)
KORALEX(tm) II represents new and improved flag fabric tecnology. Made of 100? spun polyester, its 2×2 ply construction combines durability, strength, and flyability with a rich feel and look. These flags are ideal for extreme weather conditions without the excess weight. Ideal for high wind areas and for flying.
Perma-nyl (™) (Nylon – Longest Lasting)
This heavyweight DuPont nylon is the most versatile and longest lasting nylon flag fabric available. Perma-nyl(tm)’s combination of strength and brillian display, along with its quick-drying ability, make it suitable for a wide range of applications. Great in rainy areas, its light-weight and close weave enable it to fly in the slightest breeze, giving the fullest visual effect.
Best(™) (Cotton – Heavyweight)
Best(tm) is a traditional and great looking flag material. This natural fiber bunting is made of heavyweight 2×2 ply mercerized cotton. It combines extremely rich, vibrant, long-lasting colors and good wearing quality for excellent overall appearance and value.
Sentinel(™) (50% Cotton, 50% Polyester)
Sentinel(tm) flags are 50% blend of both cotton and polyester. They offer the look of cotton and the durability of polyester. Sentinel(tm) flags are fully printed and exhibit brighter, more vibrant colors.
™ – A registered trademark of Valley Forge Flag. Proper U.S. Flag Folding
Proper U.S. Flag Folding
- Step 1 – To properly fold the flag, begin by holding it waist-high with another person so that its surface is parallel to the ground.
- Step 2 – Fold the lower half of the stripe section lengthwise over the field of stars, holding the bottom and top edges securely.
- Step 3 – Fold the flag again lengthwise with the blue field on the outside.
- Step 4 – Make a triangular fold by bringing the striped corner of the folded edge to meet the open (top) edge of the flag.
- Step 5 – Turn the outer (end) point inward, parallel to the edge, to form a second triangle.
- Step 6 – The triangular folding is continued until the entire length of the flag is folded in this manner.
- Step 7 – When the flag is completely folded, only a triangular blue field of stars should be visible.
As an Army and Navy custom, the flag is lowered daily to the last note of retreat. Special care should be taken that no part of the flag touches the ground. The flag is then carefully folded into the shape of a tri-cornered hat, emblematic of the hats worn by colonial soldiers during the War for Independence. Into the folding, the red and white stripes are finally wrapped into the blue, as the light of day vanishes into the darkness of night. This custom of special folding is reserved for the United States Flag alone.
Flag Construction Flag
- All flags are crafted from our special fabrics which are woven and dyed for flag use and exceed US Government Specifications
- All flags 2’x3’ through 12’x18’ are supplied with the largest full filled embroidered stars for exceptional beauty. Flags 15’x25’ and larger offer full size sewn stars exceeding pertinent US Government Specifications.
- In sizes 3’x5’ through 6’x10’ heavy white polyester canvas headings with nylon ropes and galvanized metal thimbles for added strength needed for larger flags. Brass grommets are used in addition to rope on headings of 10’x15’ and larger flags.
- Our flags exceed US Government Specifications for material and workmanship. Unlike others, we use superior, bonded nylon thread for extra strength.
- 100% Made in the USA
Polyester canvas headings with #2 solid brass rolled rim tooth grommets on 3’x5’ through 6’x10’ flags.
Nylon rope through canvas heading on 8’x12’ and larger flags. Galvanized metal thimbles protect rope ends.
|Embroidered stars on flags 2’x3’ through 12’x18’.
||Fly end hem reinforced by four needle lock stitching. Fly corners on larger flags are box stitched for extra durability.